Friday 13 March 2015

English muffins.

Now playing: Style - Taylor Swift

I know that I only have one more week of break and
I'll be back to campus soon.
So I shall make full use of the time I have,
and today I'm making english muffins.
Before you wonder what's so special about English muffins, 
it's not those cupcake lookalikes. 
It's the bread thingi you find with your McD 
breakfast, or served with Eggs Benedict.

I got the recipe here.
You can watch this HK dude do it the right way.
Everything is stated in chinese, but mum helped me to translate the ingredients.
The English version of the recipe will be 
at the bottom of this post.


Here's my dough, left to bulk ferment.


Divided into six and rolled into round shape. 
I have to work on my shaping skill -.-
It's a rather sticky dough, so it's quite hard. 
 For this recipe, I used semolina instead of cornmeal because I couldn't find it.


After searing it on a pan, till its brown.
I don't know why the muffins are wrinkly.


I cut it into half, buttered the insides, coloured it and placed some cheese.
Just a simple one, cause I just want to make sure it's cooked.


And when the cheese melts. 
The texture actually reminded me of soft rolls.
I was hoping it would taste more like McD's,
but at least my sister kinda liked it.



Recipe for English Muffins.
Makes 6.

1 tbsp water
5g yeast
300g bread flour/ strong flour 
5g sugar 
5g salt
1 egg
160ml milk
10g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes.
Cornmeal/semolina, as needed.

- activate the yeast in 1 tbsp of water
- add flour, sugar, salt, egg, milk and yeast into a large bowl and mix well
- knead the dough until gluten forms
- roll out the dough and add butter
- fold and knead the dough until butter is evenly mixed 
- let the dough rise for 1-2 hours until it doubled in size
- divide the dough into 6
- shape the dough into round balls
- cover and allow the dough to proof
- dust the dough with cornmeal
- pat down the dough and round the sides
- pan sear the dough without oil, until golden brown.

P/S: I jotted down the methods accordingly to understanding. Ask me if you don't understand my translated recipe.